Here we will learn the basics of ios app development using swift or getting started with ios development using swift, an overview of ios, history if ios development and features of ios.
Overview of iOS
On March 6, 2008, Apple has released the first software development kit (iPhone SDK) without having any official name but after releasing the first iPhone, the OS has named it as iPhone OS. After that, apple has introduced new devices called iPad and iPod on June 7, 2010, based on iPhone OS and the OS name has renamed it as iOS to make it consistent for all the devices.
History of iOS
The following are the details related to the evolution of iOS software.
- In June 2007, Apple has released the first version which is 1.5 and shortly becomes 2.0.
- On July 11, 2008, Apple has released the third iPhone OS 2.0 version.
- July 17, 2009, Apple has released the third iPhone OS 3.0 version.
- June 21, 2010, iOS 4 was released and Apple has provided 1500 new API features including the multitasking feature.
- On June 6, 2011, Apple has released iOS 5 and included iMessage chat between two devices which fully integrate with iCloud features.
- On June 11, 2012, Apple has released iOS 6 version but this version is not accessible for public use. On September 19, 2012 iOS 6 was released in public.
- On June 10, 2013, Apple announced iOS 7 and the features of iOS 7 are only for two iPhones iPhone 5c and iPhone 5c.
- On June 2, 2014, Apple released iOS 8 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus. iOS 8 is the first version that is available for public beta testing.
- On June 8, 2015, Apple announced the iOS 9 version and it provided support to upgrade from iOS 8 to iOS 9.
Features of iOS
The following are the common features available with apple iOS software.
- Battery problem is a common issue in all iPhone devices. Now, the settings of the iPhone offer to check which application is taking too much battery and we can uninstall or deactivate the applications based on our requirements.
- The feature in iOS is predictive typing which means when we type a word in iOS, it suggests a word.
- The concept of “Continuity” is now open which means if you are composing an email on MAC laptop and want to end that email on your iPhone, then you can do it by using the Handoff tool.
- Now, Apple ID can be merged with up to six members so we can share iTunes downloads with each other in the group.
- Apple has provided a feature to share the audio and video messages to our friends.
- Thumb impression feature is great in iOS and we can lock our mobiles using thumb impressions.
Start iOS Development
if you want to become an iOS developer and want to start the iOS development, then you should have a little knowledge of programming languages like C, Java and also should have the knowledge about OOPS (object-oriented programming language) and design patterns like MVC.